Wednesday, June 17, 2009

All about the hands...

So I have to talk about this developmental stage right now because it is SO cute and I know it will be over soon and onto something else.

Trig is SO into his hands right now. Not looking at them (we're not there yet) but playing with them. I mean he doesn't stop playing with his hands! And he LOVES sticking both of them in his mouth at the same time. Very cute - but he is always doing it, even when he wants to eat, so I have a hard time getting the bottle/breast in his mouth with his hands in the way and when he can't suck, he cries because he's hungry! And, if you hold his hands down, he gets mad about that, too. It's made feeding time very interesting at the King household, particularly at 3am....

In other news, I was awakened by Baker at 5:30am this morning to my worst breastfeeding/pumping nightmare. Our freezer in the garage was OPEN, yes, OPEN, with my entire freezer stash of breastmilk in it. I have no idea how that happened. So I transferred all of it to our freezer inside (I CANNOT BELIEVE IT FIT) and it's freezing now. I shut the door of the freezer outside and guess what - it's working now. We couldn't get it to close this morning so we thought it was broken, but it is cooling well now. There must have been something in the way of the door closing.

I have done a lot of googling on whether or not my stash is still good and it looks like I may actually be in luck - as long as there was at least some slush in the bags, they can be refrozen. Just to be safe, I'll have to do the smell/taste test on all of the bags from now on but that's worth saving the stash. I'd have to count it but my guess is that there are over 1000 ounces of breastmilk in there. Precious, hard earned stuff. I'm not going to sacrifice it unless I have to - because with that amount, I can continue with breastmilk for Trig for probably a month or more. So when I get sick of hooking up to a pump and/or just can't do it anymore for another reason, I have a backup. Thank GOD Baker noticed it this morning, I think it's salvageable. I'll have to see on a bag by bag basis. And, the freezer isn't broken, apparently, so that's good news as well. Still not a fun thing to wake up to.... Baker said "something kinda bad happened" and since Trig is okay, the world is fine, but losing his food was not a fun thing to face.

Going to transfer the milk back to the outside freezer now since Trig is napping. I'll probably obsessively check that freezer from now on. Ugh.

No comments: