Saturday, January 31, 2009

Another trip to L&D...

So I went to the OB yesterday (Friday, January 30th, 2009) morning for a regular check up and all was well, I was so happy because I gained 3 pounds! Anyway, when the doc put the doppler on me, I was having a contraction (what else is new) and the baby's heart rate decelerated. She sent me over to L&D immediately. I was totally freaked, but my mother in law said I held it together really well. Not sure how I did that but I think at this point, I am always ready for just about anything. Anyway, after being on the monitor at L&D for awhile, they could see that I am having lots of contractions (every 3-5 minutes, whoa...) but the baby's heart rate was fine. I honestly can't believe how often I am contracting and I don't even know it. The nurses were so nice, they remembered me from my week long stay a few weeks ago and were like, hey what are you doing back here? We've got your room ready for you - and put me in my old room, L&D 11! It's so nice to be remembered :)

They also did an ultrasound to check my amniotic fluid - also good. But, I'm 30.5 weeks now and the baby only weighs about 2 pounds 9 ounces. Not good, Patches is totally falling off of the growth chart. I see the perinatologist on Wednesday and they'll decide then what to do about it. For some reason, it seems like he's not getting bigger. The good news is that although he's small, he's otherwise happy - moving around, kicking away. So we need to see how he looks on Wednesday and go from there. Dr. C said that with me, it's a balance of whether or not he's doing better inside of me or whether or not we'd be better off taking him out. For now, he's better off in there, but we'll get a better sense of his growth on Wednesday and assess from there.

In the meantime, my wonderful mother in law stayed with me the whole time - I felt really bad, we had plans to eat lunch and then go see Momo but I kinda ruined that - we didn't leave L&D until like 4pm. But, we did get something to eat and went to see her later in the evening.

I feel awful for Baker - he just feels helpless in all of this and it must be so difficult. If you're reading this, baby, I'm thinking of you and I love you. I know this is so hard, but for now, we're doing fine :)

I have to say, after facing what could have been a major crisis with Dr. C, I like her even more now! She was totally cool and collected while being proactive about my care. I could tell her concern but it wasn't in an alarmist way. She totally rocks!

Grow, Patches, grow! It's not time to come yet (still)!!! :(

No comments: