Sunday, January 18, 2009

Went to the doctor!

I went to see Dr. C on Friday! All went well. I seriously cannot believe how big this practice is! I actually got in to see the doctor much quicker than I expected but waited in the room for awhile. Dr. C came in and I was reminded of how much I like her! She's so nice. I asked her all of my questions and got good answers. I am allowed to go places in the wheelchair, provided that my contractions are quiet. I am allowed to go to childbirth classes, so I need to sign up! The nurses are going to give me information on cord blood donation, so I am going to do that. I will remain on nifedipine (Procardia) for the remainder of this pregnancy or until Dr. M says I can come off of it. Dr. C said that we can do an induction if I can get to 38 weeks, so that Baker can be there. Oh and I need to go in for my glucose tolerance test, which I will do next week. Woohoo! So she left the room, I changed, and she came back to check my cervix. That's where things get a bit dicey - I am still like 1cm dilated and 50% effaced, and Dr. C thinks that my cervix is shorter than the last time she felt it. Not good. She also said that the baby's head is way down and engaged in my pelvis, which is one of the many reasons that I look so small and my uterus is measuring a bit small. So, the conclusion is that this baby could still come at any time - if my contractions start increasing a lot, he could very easily be born. The good news is that I am now at almost 29 weeks, Dr. C said that we need to be happy about that and look forward to the next big milestone, 30 weeks. Though I am allowed to go a few places, I need to stay quiet and not go more than about 30 minutes from the hospital. I also told her that I've been sick with this stupid cold and she told me that I can take Zyrtec and do the neti pot but not to take anything else. So, I really just need to wait to get better hopefully soon.

So, overall, a good visit. I am comforted that he's still in there of course but it's really scary to be told that Patches can come anytime. Then again, what did I expect? That my cervix would suddenly lengthen and all would be better? Of course not. But it's still scary to hear that he's so ready to come out - down so low and all of that. So, I'll be taking it easy, as I have been.

In other news, my family has suffered a great loss. Dr. R. Wayne Hurt and his wife Maryann Hurt perished in a house fire on Saturday morning. They are investigating the cause of the fire, no word yet. This is horribly upsetting and I am thinking and praying for the Hurt family.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6216666.html

1 comment:

Megan and David said...

I really hope you can kepp the little guy cooking for a little longer! You are doing a great job!